In March 1919 Col Stopford Sackville offered the village two acres of land for use as a recreation ground as a thanksgiving for peace and victory.
A committee was set up, and after public subscription, £250 was allowed for the laying out of the recreation ground. Apart from children’s entertainment, it was proposed to include tennis, bowls and quoits.
The conveyance of the ground was signed on 17th Oct. By June 1920 the recreation ground originally on an undulating field had been levelled out and laid as a Tennis Court, Bowling Green and Quoit Pitch.
It was also decided to spend a considerable sum which had been collected, on an imposing stone pillared entrance gate. The left-hand pillar to record the presentation of the recreation ground by SG Stopford Sackville Esq at the close of the Great War 1914-18 as the right-hand pillar as memorial to the residents of Islip who died in the war and gratitude to those who served. By Ann Joseph